January 17, 2008

ELEMENTary school

I believe I got something out of college today. I know...(Gasp!)

January 17, 2008
Science Bldg. Room 147
Biology 1010 (sad, but true)
7:30 a.m. (also sad but true)

Kristen (star pupil) clenches to awakeness with all strength vested in her being. The battle between scholastics and sweet dreams wages on. She fights, but to no avail and the eyelids begin to droop. As her mind carries her to far off Depp-inhabited lands, a comment made, so un-theatrically, by un-named professor reaches in, grabs hold and drags her back to the un-cushioned seat she occupies in previously mentioned dank classroom. Un-heated (so it seems) dank classroom, I may add.

"Class, who can tell me the definition of an element? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?" (Not joking...)
(silence)
"Elements are those things which can not be broken down by any means."

I repeat.

Elements are those things which CANNOT
BE BROKEN DOWN BY any MEANS.



And WHAM! Just as I begin to take the stage to accept my Oscar, I find myself back in the present.

As I sit in contemplation, my thoughts drift to a common saying. "She is in her element" or "He has found his element." Now hold your pants, I know Bill Nye was thinking more along the lines of Carbon, Oxygen, and the other 92 naturally occurring and 20+ synthetic elements (yes, I am smart, please see periodic table). But God put half my brain on the right side for a reason, and I used it to dig out a deeper meaning. What is my "element?" What is my 'thing' (for lack of a less ambitious term) which cannot be broken down by ANY means? A trait, quality, idea, belief..... Or is an element perhaps something that can keep ME from being broken down by any means?

It's really an open ended question I plan to work on in my free time. And here you thought you would get answers. Silly you. I offer no answers, only opportunities to take a gander in my mind, or simply a peek if you wish. Sometimes I think my life was set up as a giant treasure hunt and the clues (He hides them well) are the Aha! moments that seem to emerge every now and then. Abstract ideas, whether brilliant or otherwise, I tend to find in unexpected places. The prize better be good.


(P.S. for those of you (mom) wondering how I made it to a class, a morning class no less....Shame on you. Occasionally I choose to grace the learning arena with my presence. It happens.)

Oh and p.s. #2...Elements are my favorite cars. Especially the
green
and orange ones. Don't they look like they just hopped right out of a Dr. Seuss book? And I bet you didn't know you can hose them out! A-maaaaazing!

4 comments:

angie said...

love this! no wonder my sister likes you! and i almost didn't recognize you posting as kristen and not rubi...

Natalie Harris said...

Kristen honey, your element is LOVE...just ask anyone....that's why we all want to be with you and have you marry our sons.
N

Natalie Harris said...

PS...and write stuff for us
N

megan said...

kristen-I hope you realize just how special and awesome you are sometime in the near future!