June 24, 2008

in loving memory

What is up with the birds of this world? Or at least of our front yard? I mean come on!

CLICK HERE and let it play while returning to read this post.

It was a somber day at the Muirhead home. We did, unfortunately, lose another member of our avian family this afternoon. Well....(s)he wasn't so much our bird as (s)he was a bird. Mom spotted it outside the office window flopping around on the ground and I was sent to attempt a rescue. The poor thing shivered and twitched in my hands for a good ten minutes, and despite our valiant attempts at feeding and watering, and whispering magical spells into its ears, it kicked the can at 12:03 PM.

This is "Birdie" still alive.


This is Birdie dead.


Now we may be known for our lack of ability at keeping animals alive, but we certainly give them solemn farewells. Allow me to recount Birdie's funeral services for you, dear reader(s).

Birdie's casket, made custom by Champion Footwear.


How the girls felt about Birdie's tragic and untimely death.


The program for Birdie's funeral.



The pallbearers.


During the opening remarks.


We all said our final words to Birdie while sprinkling birdseed onto his/her grave and then Nichol graced us with an improvisational poem.


Birdie was buried as Michelle made up a very moving song on her violin. All in attendance were deeply touched.


Music brought to you by Kristen's iPod and Dewalt Power Tools.



Bye Bye Birdie. R.I.P.


In leui of flowers....please send candy.

p.s. I would not recommend digging graves today. It is much too sweltering out.

11 comments:

vie said...

there you go people. a picture of me on my blog...in a hideous squatting position no less. no more complaining.

Anonymous said...

this is hilarious. I mean sad. i'm so sad i left this mo(u)rning.

AnneMarie said...

You guys are hilariously dramatic! I hope you said a few words in your heart for our Little Blue because he sure did not get a send off like that and we had him for several days!

vie said...

Birds can't pass out right? I keep having mini panic attacks that maybe it wasn't really dead. I think that's because my worst fear is being buried alive. Please tell me birds cannot faint.

susette said...

Oh Kristen!!! You are looking so lovely, and I mean that. How come you haven't been by to see us? It certainly has been a long time. Maybe soon?

Kate said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of the bird...but thanks for hte documentation of the funeral.

Michelle said...

btw, that was not during the mourning session, it was during the moment of silence.

Ashleigh said...

first . . . way too much time on your hands. second, i was over there today i should have dropped in. addison would have loved this experience. third, funny so thanks.

Ryan Muirhead said...

how wrong is it that I couldn't stop laughing while reading this post?

Ryan Muirhead said...

ps chickens are birds and pigs are smarter than dogs. I think there should be a memorial service after dinner every day. :)

vie said...

ah-men brother. ah-men. I will work on my vegetarianism.